Here are our 5 top interview tips! Make sure you pay close attention to the items below as they can take your interview skills to the next level.
- Know the most common questions. Research what the common interview are and have answers for each of them. Prepare answers for those questions in relation to the job role you have applied for so you can provide accurate answers during the interview. Try not to sound rehearsed when answering the questions in the interview.
- Give examples. Always provide examples when you answer interview questions. Don't worry if you have no previous work experience, you can use examples from school (helping another classmate with their work) or from any sports you may have played (working together in a team).
- Be on time. Be prepared! Make sure you're on time for your interview. It's better to be early and wait than to be late! Make sure you know where it is and how to get to the building and make time for delays in travelling there.
- Research the company. Do some research about the company you want a job with. Make sure you understand what they do, and try to find out what their needs, goals and problems are. This way, you can prepare some ideas about how to you can help fill the needs, achieve the goals and solve the problems. Use this knowledge in the interview when answering questions to show you have researched them and are keen to get involved in what they do! Employers will see you have a genuine interest in the work they do.
- Be honest. Answer honestly in the interview. Then when you get a job, the employer will have the correct expectations of your level of abilities, strengths and weaknesses. You should receive the right level of support accordingly and fit in well in the job role. Also, prepare your salary needs in advance.
Occupational Psychologist, Mindmill